Nintendo warns against youngsters playing 3DS

Have something you want to chat about that's not in another forum already? Feel free to talk about life, ask everyday questions, talk to other members, and take polls here.
[The Poliwager Chatterbox]
Pirate
Poliwhirl Adult
Poliwhirl Adult

#1 Post by Pirate » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:47 pm

Original Article
Nintendo is warning young children against playing 3-D video games on its upcoming handheld gaming system, the Nintendo 3DS.

Kids younger than 6 who play the 3-D games may have the growth of their eyes stunted, the company said in a statement on its Japanese website.

The warning notes that parents can turn off the 3-D functionality of the handheld 3DS. They can also set passwords that keep kids from using that feature.

The statement also asks everyone who plays the 3-D gaming system to take periodic breaks from the games as often as every hour or 30 minutes.

The warning follows many others on the potential health effects of three-dimensional entertainment. TV makers have issued warnings about young people, pregnant women and even drunk people viewing 3-D TV, noting that the medium may cause nausea, dizziness and seizures.

In one such warning, Samsung said those risks are heightened in kids.

Nintendo has largely gotten favorable reviews for the 3DS system, which lets players see games in three dimensions without wearing the clunky glasses that are required for most 3-D television and movie displays.

The company debuted the 3DS at a trade show earlier this year.

The $300 device is scheduled to hit stores in Japan in February and then in the United States in March.
Joined Poliwager: 10 Sep 2009 3:43 pm PDT
Jr. Mod: 17 Jul 2010 6:57 pm PDT
Mod: 20 Mar 2011 1:20 pm PDT

Chaze the Chat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#2 Post by Chaze the Chat » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:12 am

This is very old news, and it didn't even get some of the facts right. :lol:

I don't care, if we're dead, I am Captain Splendid.

greenskeleton
Poliwag Adult
Poliwag Adult

#3 Post by greenskeleton » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:57 pm

March? wow. earlier than i thought. but i've heard that some of the games are glitchy.

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.