The Hunger Games

It's easy to get lost in a good book. When you're taking a break from reading, post about it here!
elephantluvr
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#1 Post by elephantluvr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:41 am

Oh my god who has read this book??? It's so good! I stayed up until like 6 am during my Christmas break reading it because I couldn't stop XD I don't know why I didn't post anything about this earlier :P

Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#2 Post by Jolteon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:41 pm

I read the trilogy last spring, it was pretty good, especially considering what they brand as "Young Adult Literature" these days. (There's a section at my local bookstore titled "Teen Paranormal Romance." Really?) I didn't think it was extraordinary, but it was partly ruined for me because we read the first book for school, and my teacher over-analyzed it so much you would think that authors existed for the sole purpose of putting symbols in their work to please English teachers.

Catching Fire for me was the best, because there was finally a break from the nonstop action, and the overplayed romance. Mockingjay was just plain ridiculous; killing off characters indiscriminately just to shock the reader doesn't do much for me. All in all, not bad, but hardly my favorite books of all time.

And to be fair, romance-oriented novels generally do not appeal to guys.
CHAZE used A BIT OF PROPER GRAMMER! It doesn't affect wild SNEAKACHU...
SMEEL used SHOTGUN! Critical Hit!
SLIX used CHARM! A wild BABE appeared!
STONE used MY LITTLE PONY! It's super effective!
AQUIL used RIBS! Foe WORLD fainted!
A wild GLUTTONY appeared! PIRATICE fainted!
A wild OC appeared! POLIWAGER fainted!

Pirate
Poliwhirl Adult
Poliwhirl Adult

#3 Post by Pirate » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:08 pm

I have the first two books, haven't bothered to read them. I pretty much got the gist of it from all the noise on tumblr.
Joined Poliwager: 10 Sep 2009 3:43 pm PDT
Jr. Mod: 17 Jul 2010 6:57 pm PDT
Mod: 20 Mar 2011 1:20 pm PDT

elephantluvr
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#4 Post by elephantluvr » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:55 pm

I've only read the first one, I haven't had time for the other two yet :/

Shadow
Poliwag Baby
Poliwag Baby

#5 Post by Shadow » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:14 pm

WARNING: I give a bit of a spoiler in here, sorry.

I loved the saga; it was very creative and in depth. My mom read it first and when she told me what it was about I had had my reservations. It sounded quite creepy, but she loved it and was always telling me that I should give it a try when I was ready(at the time I had had a list of books I was working on hehe). But I was very impressed by the story and powerful display of struggling through life under rule which abuses it's power and takes life for granted. One of my favorite things about the series is the display of how powerful and deceiving the media can be.

When you see a couple exploited in a magazine or on television, remember Katniss and Peeta.

As for which boy I liked for her I was rooting for Gale. He's so warm and considerate of her and he really gets her. She trusts him more than she trusts anyone else, she told him things she never spoke of. I like the idea of your partner in life also being your best friend.
Peeta is very sweet, I love how selfless and sentimental he is but it got on my nerves how he had put her in the position to have to pretend to be in love with him and then
in the second book, 'Catching Fire' he holds it against her. I felt like in a way, the whole act kind of forced her into eventually really falling in love with him.
I don't know perhaps I am misinterpreting that but her relationship with Gale just seemed more real. She was always most comfortable with him, most herself, and most at home.

HLG Teddy
Poliwag Baby
Poliwag Baby

#6 Post by HLG Teddy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:11 am

Hopefully the movie isn't a complete put down... I loved the books
ImageImageImageImageImage

BadtzMaru

#7 Post by BadtzMaru » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:41 am

I can't wait to watch the movie this weekend.
I've read the books many a time- I love them. I hope the movie is as good as the books, since most of the time when they make a movie based on a book, it turns out worse.
My favorite book is Mockingjay.
"It would be nice if something made sense for a change."-Alice
My Pokemon! 3DSBubble!
And may the odds be ever in your favor! -Effie Trinket

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.