Sinful Sprites ~ Chaos

Talk about computers, operating systems, non-Pokemon video games, or anything technology related here.
Asha
Donor
Donor

#61 Post by Asha » Sat May 12, 2012 4:32 am

I'll add a persian to the list ;)

My Adoptable Army

Muto
Poliwag Adult
Poliwag Adult

#62 Post by Muto » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:51 am

If you still do these I don't even know, out of the Eeveelutions you're missing Flareon and Leafeon, do those maybe? Also Kecleon as a third if he hasn't been made?

Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#63 Post by Gluttony » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:42 am

5 new ones for the first time in quite a while.

From the (long overdue) list of chaos to be done: Farfetch'd.
From Pokédex order: Ekans.
Because the RNG told me to make it: Muk.
And because I felt like doing them: Shuppet and Petilil.
Image Image

On the list:
- Ninetales
- Persian
- Flareon
- Leafeon
- Kecleon

Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#64 Post by Gluttony » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Adding Natu, because a friend on another site requested it (and unlike the requests I've still got pending, it was easy to make):

catdogmouse
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#65 Post by catdogmouse » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Wow, that's so cute! Do you mind me asking how you make these? You don't have to share if you don't want to.
...Wait, What?

ImageImageImageImageImage

Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#66 Post by Gluttony » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:18 pm

I use a template (shaped pretty much the same as Bulbasaur in the first post of this topic, minus the bulb, as the basic shape. Colour it in with the main colour of the Pokémon-to-be-made's body, then (at maximum zoom) alter the shape pixel-by-pixel using the pencil tool on paint until it's a decent match to the Pokémon I'm making. I keep the Pokémon's Generation V sprite beside the chao I'm working on at all times for reference.

Once the shape is good, I get to more complex colourations, adding in shading on newly-added or modified body parts such as tails. If there are any extremely oddly-shaped Pokémon, I often save them at this point to use as a template for similarly-shaped Pokémon. For example: Chikorita was used as a template for the similar shapes of Mudkip, Poochyena, Mightyena, Grotle, Torterra, and Dialga; Poliwag was used as a template for the similar shapes of Golem, Natu, and Shroomish; Seviper was used as a template for the similar shape of Ekans; and Articuno was used as a template for the similar shapes of Pidgeotto and Fearow. Making a new shape for the first time is difficult, but I actually re-use material quite a bit to make things easier.

I then add in colour patterns such as stripes, spots, different-coloured underbellies, and other such things. Once that's done I zoom back to normal zoom to see if everything looks good. If anything doesn't, I zoom back in and change it pixel-by-pixel until it does look good. Then I save it on a single-coloured, 47x47 pixel square, with the Pokémon lining up, so that one specific pixel (the spot between the feet, specifically) lines up to be at the exact same spot on every sprite, giving them a uniform look when standing in rows, such as in the first post of this topic.

Once the image is good, and on a single-coloured background (incidentally, the background colour is always markedly different than the Pokémon used, so for example: Bulbasaur is saved on a yellow background, because he has no yellow on the sprite. This helps ensure that no part of the sprite itself will be accidentally made transparent during the transparency process), I take it to www.iaza.com and use their image editor on the background to make it transparent, saving the resulting gif. file to my computer.

I then upload that gif file to my photobucket account in my Chaos album, and post them here. ^_^

catdogmouse
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#67 Post by catdogmouse » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 am

^^ Wow. That seems... difficult :P
...Wait, What?

Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#68 Post by Gluttony » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Nah, it's pretty easy, I just described it in detail.

I'll see if I can upload a step by step picture process of how I do them, if that would make it any clearer.

--Edit: Here we go, a step by step process for Larvitar!

Step 1:
I load up my template.

Step 2:
Paste the Pokémon to-be-made alongside the template, and copy the sprite on the right onto the outline on the left.

Step 3:
Shading begins! I take the lightest shade of the Pokémon-to-be-made's main colour, in this case the lightest shade of green on Larvitar's BW sprite, and use the fill tool on paint to put that green over the lightest blue spots on my template.

Step 4:
Next-lightest shade of green over next-lightest shade of blue. Working from lightest to darkest helps me not miss any spots.

Step 5:
Next-lightest shade of green over next-lightest shade of blue again.

Step 6:
Next-lightest shade of green over next-lightest shade of blue again.

Step 7:
Next-lightest shade of green over next-lightest shade of blue again. At this point the sprite is now fully-green, so I can start to get to work on editing the shape.

Step 8:
No need to do new work when I've already got something I can use. I load up Charmeleon, copy the shape of its horn, and voila! I've got Larvitar's horn done.

Step 9:
Using Larvitar's BW sprite as a reference, I drew a face. This usually consists of eyes and sometimes a mouth, and I often vaguely copy shapes used in the official sprite. Not too difficult.

Step 10:
Put some red on its belly, and that's about all the detail complete! Larvitar is pretty stocky, and its tail is presumably directly behind it, so I don't need to sprite the tail.

Step 11:
Put in on a 47x47 pixel square, solid-colour background. Larvitar has no yellow in its sprite, so I used a yellow background.

Step 12: Make that background transparent with http://www.iaza.com and then upload it to my photobucket and post it here. Done.
Last edited by Gluttony on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

catdogmouse
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#69 Post by catdogmouse » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:57 pm

That would be great. Thanks, Glut.
...Wait, What?

Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#70 Post by Gluttony » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Alright, done. I edited my step-by-step into my previous post. Enjoy.

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.