League of Legends

Talk about computers, operating systems, non-Pokemon video games, or anything technology related here.
Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#1 Post by Gluttony » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:24 pm

My best friend has been addicted to League of Legends for the past few months and has been constantly praising it as "the only good online game she's ever played". So I decided to try it out.

I have to say I found it to be among the worst, if not the worst online game I'd ever played. I can't say I've figured out why she finds it so great. I spent hours downloading it, and then played several games, and lost all of them because I never once got a full group of teammates who weren't too laggy to help, or didn't quit after a few minutes.

So... I dunno. I feel like spending my day off trying out this game was a huge waste of my time. Has anyone else tried it? Maybe found it better than I did?

Pirate
Poliwhirl Adult
Poliwhirl Adult

#2 Post by Pirate » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:00 am

Heard of it, never played it. I don't play games that require downloads. :D

I only play Glitch these days.
Joined Poliwager: 10 Sep 2009 3:43 pm PDT
Jr. Mod: 17 Jul 2010 6:57 pm PDT
Mod: 20 Mar 2011 1:20 pm PDT

elephantluvr
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#3 Post by elephantluvr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:10 am

Never even heard of it, but I won't be trying it, so thanks for saving me some time!

Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#4 Post by Gluttony » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:56 am

elephantluvr wrote:Never even heard of it, but I won't be trying it, so thanks for saving me some time!
If you hadn't heard of it, you wouldn't have been trying it anyways though. :lol:

elephantluvr
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#5 Post by elephantluvr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:54 pm

Gluttony wrote:
elephantluvr wrote:Never even heard of it, but I won't be trying it, so thanks for saving me some time!
If you hadn't heard of it, you wouldn't have been trying it anyways though. :lol:
Well if I were to hear of it in the future I would maybe try it, but now I won't because I know it's bad :)

Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#6 Post by Gluttony » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Meh, I saw more online people vouching for it.

Supposedly the game is awesome and it's the community that's bad. They say it's fun if you play with a group of friends as your teammates rather than random strangers who quit partway through like the ones I played with.

elephantluvr
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#7 Post by elephantluvr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:57 pm

Ah, that makes sense. So now I just wont go on unless a group of people I know tell me to (but that's not going to happen).

Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#8 Post by Gluttony » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:47 pm

My best friend came up to visit and convinced me to give this game another shot. It was a bit better than last time. For the most part.

For one thing she, an actually good player who doesn't quit in the middle of the game, was on my team. No desperately trying to fight an entire enemy team by myself this time.

She's also a pretty extreme powergamer in this game. She picks the statistically "best" characters, memorizes internet guides of the "best" builds, and is both deadly and hard to kill as a result. Because of that she picked up a lot of wins, got a lot of playing experience, and is rather skilled with the game. (It works, but it's not really my style. I don't even really consider myself to be playing the game if I'm just mimicking what a guide tells me I should do).

Because she knows the game so well she was able to help me, which I think helped contribute to our wins together, but she's a REALLY frustrating backseat gamer. She looked over my shoulder and told me every move I should make, every enemy I should click, when to attack, when to run... To the point where I wasn't really making any choices of my own. Eventually I just handed my computer over to her because I was getting annoyed and she was pretty much the one playing anyways. She turned the game around and single-handedly won because she's a significantly faster clicker than me (and she micromanages really well, handling two computers and the glitchy unlocked screen movement all at the same time) but I'd say that despite the wins it was one of the worst games today. I didn't have fun. I was actively thinking "can we just get it over with" throughout a lot of it.

Things got better when I discovered that I really liked playing as a certain champion that I'd never tried before. I actually started killing enemies at the same speed that she was telling me to, so for the most part she backed off with the instructions and focused on playing her own character.

At that point I started to have fun with League of Legends for the first time ever.

tldr: It's not bad if you have reliable teammates and find a champion you like to play as I guess. But it takes a lot of work and a lot of frustrating losses to find good teammates and to discover who you play best as.

Ostrid
Poliwhirl Adult
Poliwhirl Adult

#9 Post by Ostrid » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:45 pm

So i tried this game out, and I love it :D

Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#10 Post by Gluttony » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Nice. Unfortunately I can no longer play it (most of the time) since I have roommates and my internet can't handle me being on Lol while they're online too.

Still, you may as well add me. I'm Creepy4 there. :/

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.