Do you think the Pokemon designs have gotten worse?

What's your favorite Pokémon? Favorite Generation? Do you like the anime or manga? Talk about general Pokémon stuff here!
Metaright
Poliwag Baby
Poliwag Baby

#1 Post by Metaright » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:30 am

It seems to be a somewhat common opinion that the Pokemon from the Fourth Generation onward have gotten progressively worse in their design. Common targets of disdain seem to be the legendaries, as well as the infamous ice cream Pokemon:
(Picture unrelated)
I used to think that myself, but when I think about it, I can't really justify the thought. I mean, the First Generation had the magnet Pokemon, the literal-pile-of-sludge Pokemon (which evolved into the slightly-bigger-literal-pile-of-sludge Pokemon) and the Pokeball Pokemon (which evolved into the upside-down Pokeball Pokemon). So, we've had some pretty terrible and unoriginal designs since the beginning.

What do you think?
"Making sense?" Oh, what fun is there in making sense...?

D3athTh3Kid
Poliwag Baby
Poliwag Baby

#2 Post by D3athTh3Kid » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:15 pm

In my opinion the designs have become a bit better than older Pokemon. The names have also been a bit weird too, but the newer Pokemon designs have indeed gotten better.

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by Slix » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:25 pm

I think my mind has been changed more recently, I used to think they were getting worse, but part of that largely came from Sinnoh's horrible older gen evolutions, which, in part is also came from good old nastalgia telling me that gen 1 and 2 had the best designs.

I do think that they need to actually be more creative now than before because there's a demand for good designs and also because they've already used a lot of ideas, so they need to "dig deep" and think up new Pokemon designs and ideas that are truly original and creative.

Just my thoughts, after all though. (I do agree with the fact that people miss the fact that gen 1 had a sludge ball even though gen 5 was "awful" because of an ice cream cone, they all have their ups and downs, so to speak.)

Do you want to POKéMON with me?
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.
- Isaiah 40:28

D3athTh3Kid
Poliwag Baby
Poliwag Baby

#4 Post by D3athTh3Kid » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:30 am

Have you guys seen the new Mewtwo Form that they may be adding to X and Y? It looks better than the original Mewtwo. So I decided that the designs are getting better o3o.

Metaright
Poliwag Baby
Poliwag Baby

#5 Post by Metaright » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:56 pm

D3athTh3Kid wrote:Have you guys seen the new Mewtwo Form that they may be adding to X and Y? It looks better than the original Mewtwo. So I decided that the designs are getting better o3o.
Actually, I'd have to disagree with you on that one. I really like Mewtwo's first design, and it really works well. What with Mew being the ancestor of all Pokemon (Arceus notwithstanding) and being based on an embryo. It makes sense to have Mewtwo look the way it does, what with the tube from its neck to its back.

That might not even make sense, but hey.
"Making sense?" Oh, what fun is there in making sense...?

catdogmouse
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#6 Post by catdogmouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:38 pm

In my opinion the designs have stayed consistently decent until Gen V... I see some promise in Gen VI though. Gotta wait and see!
...Wait, What?

ImageImageImageImageImage

Asha
Donor
Donor

#7 Post by Asha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:46 am

I personally think they've been consistent however I do feel they should recruit sprite designers (that do the scratches) for inspiration and an outside perspective.

Asha

My Adoptable Army

smallboy11
Poliwag Adult
Poliwag Adult

#8 Post by smallboy11 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Some are really good, some are terrible. But I think they are still doing a very good job.
Please Click:

My Mewtwo Team:

The Blue Bandito
Poliwag Teenager
Poliwag Teenager
Location: Under your bed with a camera and a jar of fat-free mayonaise

#9 Post by The Blue Bandito » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:49 pm

It seems to be the general consensus here, but I'll say I agree that every gen has its bad eggs. Yes, some more than others. Gen 4 really was my least favorite design wise, but they did have some great new ones like Rotom and Spiritomb, and some new evolutions were great too, like Yanmega and Leafeon. I mean, for the most part I enjoy the new designs, and I won't let my view of an entire generation's designs be skewed by a couple cracks in the glass, so to speak.
That’s it, laughter, it’s the key to everything! It’s the way to solve all the sadness in the world! Being a comedian isn’t being an insensitive prick capitalizing on the most animalistic impulses of the public, it’s being a hero! The world isn’t sad, the world’s funny! I'm a sociopath! Tragedy will be exclusively joked about, because my empathy is bumming me out.

Goodbye sadness! Hello jokes.

Kyliebell100
Poliwag Adult
Poliwag Adult
Location: The Wonderful Kalos Region with my loyal Sylveon named Adori

#10 Post by Kyliebell100 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:32 pm

I like most sprites. You can even say I like Trubbish and Vanillite. But please, I don't want this to turn into a war to decide which gen had the best and worst sprites. I'm afraid of that happening. >n<
Puffles says...
<(Hey everyone! Click me please!)

Melodia says...
<(Click that guy up there!)

Fluffles says...
<(Click me too!)

Image Image

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.