Can we talk about Pokemon Go seriously for a second?

What's your favorite Pokémon? Favorite Generation? Do you like the anime or manga? Talk about general Pokémon stuff here!
Zappers42

#1 Post by Zappers42 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:25 am

OK so yeah it's kind of cool that you can explore the real world catching pokemon and bond with other real people about what pokemon you catch or what team you're on (which, admittedly I love) But lets get real here for a second... Is pokemon go even really that good?

I remember when the trailer first launched while I going on tour over seas and I got HYPED. But what I had in mind was more like a main title pokemon game but IRL. What I got instead was this weird scavenger hunt... Doesn't it bother anyone else that you have to catch 100 magikarp to evolve it? Why can't I just catch one, love it, train it, and evolve him? There's no attachment to a pokemon you catch as soon as you catch one with higher CP.

And lets talk about that for a moment. If you're going to keep the candy raising system, why is it when I catch a wild CP 1000 Pidgiot that it still transfers to only 1 candy? If I find something cool and rare but don't really need in the wild, there is absolutely no reason for me to even look at it. If I'm looking for candies for a CP 1000 whatever, it's more worth it to find a CP 10 rather than 500 because they both come out the same.

Now the battle system is kind of worthless, why only two attacks? Why not turn based? Why kind of broken? UGH!

And finally Niantics PR is kind of the worst. Deleted the tracking methods entirely, shutting down third person tracking sites and overall just making the game less fun? All of this going on as well as an AMAZING sun and moon trailer breaking, I'm very quickly loosing interest in Pokemon Go. But what do you guys think?

jstnwill

#2 Post by jstnwill » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:09 pm

I blame a lot of these little issues on the fact that the game was not entirely ready yet when it was released. I'm not sure if Niantic has come out and said that themselves, but it's clear that Pokemon Go was not supposed to be released as early as it was. However, they knew that they had to get it out during the (northern hemisphere's) summer, while their target audience was out of school, and free to roam the city streets hatching those god forsaken eggs. There are too many features missing, such as the dedicated peripheral (Go Plus I think it's called) and the entire absence of multiplayer and cooperative features, to really be satisfied with it.

That being said, I love it. It's a way to get me out of the office or my dorm room every now and again, meet up with some people, and have fun on campus. I think Niantic can use the fact that the game is lacking in certain features to increase the longevity of the game. If they put out a sizable update every two months or so, and they include some of these ideal features, I think they can really extend the life of this game. Putting it out this early was probably due to sluggish development teams, but they can definitely spin it positively. That being said, as you noted, Niantics' PR agents may as well not exist, so the window for any positive spin is closing as we speak.

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by Slix » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:51 pm

I agree that there are many things missing that should have been released when the game initially released. However, with a few adjustments, many of the issues I see with the game could easily be resolved.

- Giving more candies per Pokémon transferred would be great. 1 per evolution, and 1 per maybe 500 CP would be ideal. So a 1025 Pidgeot would yield 5 Pidgey Candies: 3 for every time it'd evolved, and 2 for 500/1000 CP on it.
- Giving Candies for the Pokémon you use to defeat Pokémon in a gym would make a ton of sense. You train or battle a gym with a Pinsir, get some Pinsir Candies for winning.
- A nitpick of mine and not major: Move the Eggs menu to a dedicated tab in the menu, just like Pokémon and Items are.

I'm loving the game so far, but I also agree, if they do continue to make adjustments and add features over time, this game will thrive. If not, the game may die out to everyone but the dedicated Pokémon fans. I'm hoping for the first option there, but we'll see.

Do you want to POKéMON with me?
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.
- Isaiah 40:28

Laurz
Poliwag Kid
Poliwag Kid

#4 Post by Laurz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:27 am

I completely agree with all of you, I don't like the fact that your hunting the Pokemon I feel you should keep the first one you catch and make it the best one it can be instead of having to trade in multiple of the same Pokemon to evolve it.

I think the removal of the tracking system is a mistake on their part and I have read in many places that people are requesting refunds on in app purchases as their incense is not working as effectively without the tracking systems as they do not know which Pokemon are closest and therefore making it harder for them to get all the Pokemon or the Pokemon that they are looking for.

i think it would be improved if there was a feature to be able to battle and trade with friends, I have heard this is coming in future updates, and hopefully this is true.

I do feel the game will get old if they don't improve it soon!!

Asha
Donor
Donor

#5 Post by Asha » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:29 am

I'm so glad everyone is thinking the same as me! I feel Pokemon Go could quickly become stale at this rate. The tracking part of the game was what it was about!

I also don't like the fact you don't get any attachment to a pokemon, the whole point of pokemon games was to gain an attachment to the pokemon you had, train it, love it and conquer all together, thats how the games made me feel and I feel Niantic has lost sight of what pokemon did to its players. I'd much rather take over a week training one pokemon to be good rather than spend two days catching loads of the same pokemon, its boring and tedious, to the point if I see another drowzee I might just launch my phone in the river.

Pokemon was also all about battling, battling the AI, battling your friends and taking part in tournaments, none of this is available in Pokemon Go, I can't even trade pokemon with Laurz! Key elements of pokemon forgotten about!! I also agree with zappers, the battle system is horrific, dodge, dodge oh your dead... its horrible and clunky, I would much rather go back to the old turn based system. They worked for all pokemon games before why not now?

I feel Niantic have made a mistake removing the tracking system, it was the major plus of the game and now its gone I don't know whether I'm 2 foot away from that rare pokemon or 1km, it has just ruined the game. Hopefully its just disabled with the intent of bringing it back and hopefully the servers will cope.

Niantics PR is terrible aswell, they don't seem to understand what the players want and are only interested in money grabbing at this stage, which as Laurz said is backfiring due to people wanting incense refunds.

I understand this game was never meant to be like those we have on our Nintendos but come on Niantic this game has so much more potential than this.

Rant over :lol:

My Adoptable Army

jstnwill

#6 Post by jstnwill » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:25 am

I know everyone seems pretty frustrated with Niantic's PR problem, but it could improve soon: Niantic is Hiring a Community Manager for Pokemon GO

I'm not sure how fast people will jump onto that offering though, since there's little to no foundation for the position over at Niantic. They're gonna have to revamp the entire PR department from the ground up, and that heavy of a task could turn a lot of people away.

Nitra999
Poliwag Teenager
Poliwag Teenager
Location: Antarctica, where I have enough internet access to regularly go online.

#7 Post by Nitra999 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:39 pm

jstnwill wrote:However, they knew that they had to get it out during the (northern hemisphere's) summer, while their target audience was out of school, and free to roam the city streets hatching those god forsaken eggs.

Why in the world would their target audience be children in the Northern Hemisphere? If they're going to make a video game based on going outside, it can't be for people with work, so that means it'll only be played in the summertime by kids. However, older kids (in my school system, 10+ years old) do have summer work, which does take a few weeks to complete, so they won't do much. And, as for younger than 10 years old...Going outside? Running around, in the fields or in the roads? Without parents to watch over them? I know no parents who approve of that.

So, that rant was about their target audience not existing. Here's a shorter one about the game's features:

TRACKING WAS THE BEST PART WHY WHY WHY??

I'm done, I agree with all of you.
I really missed this place.
Image ImageImage
Click on them if you want to, but if you see this then you've already helped.
Thanks!

Audrey729
Poliwag Teenager
Poliwag Teenager
Location: I live in the middle of the Arctic Ocean. Don't worry about me, we have plenty of hot spots out here

#8 Post by Audrey729 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:22 pm

I think that Pokemon GO is a cool idea, but it's not very efficient. Sure, it encourages people to go outside, but do they REALLY see what's around them? No. All they want are the Pokemon, and then they do things like fall off of cliffs.
This is my huge signature of pokemon, but at least I finally got that Mewtwo!

Asha
Donor
Donor

#9 Post by Asha » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:54 am

Nitra999 wrote:
jstnwill wrote:However, they knew that they had to get it out during the (northern hemisphere's) summer, while their target audience was out of school, and free to roam the city streets hatching those god forsaken eggs.

Why in the world would their target audience be children in the Northern Hemisphere? If they're going to make a video game based on going outside, it can't be for people with work, so that means it'll only be played in the summertime by kids. However, older kids (in my school system, 10+ years old) do have summer work, which does take a few weeks to complete, so they won't do much. And, as for younger than 10 years old...Going outside? Running around, in the fields or in the roads? Without parents to watch over them? I know no parents who approve of that.

So, that rant was about their target audience not existing. Here's a shorter one about the game's features:

TRACKING WAS THE BEST PART WHY WHY WHY??

I'm done, I agree with all of you.
There is plenty of time for everyone to play it, I'm 22 and in full time work yet I still find time to go out and catch some pokemon :)

My Adoptable Army

Nitra999
Poliwag Teenager
Poliwag Teenager
Location: Antarctica, where I have enough internet access to regularly go online.

#10 Post by Nitra999 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:23 pm

:(
Guess I'm wrong then. Except for the kids part, I know for sure that most kids that play do it while on trips, not just to catch Pokémon.
I really missed this place.
Image ImageImage
Click on them if you want to, but if you see this then you've already helped.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.