Is Pokémon an Awesome Game?

What's your favorite Pokémon? Favorite Generation? Do you like the anime or manga? Talk about general Pokémon stuff here!
Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#1 Post by Slix » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:37 pm

This is a paper I wrote last year for English and I never posted it here. I did good on the assignment... Enjoy I guess and feel free to criticize my work. :P

Pokémon, a game made back in 1996, is a game based around creatures called Pokémon, that battle. There have been many games in the series. Right now, the 5th generation of major games are preparing for release in America. Pokémon are friendly characters, and they battle for fun. There has been some controversy about whether Pokémon in the games are being "forced" to fight for their trainers, but nonetheless, people around the world love playing the games. Some other issues that have come up are racism and worshiping of false gods. Over the years, people have complained that a certain Pokémon, Jynx, was a racial stereotype because of it's black colored skin, which was later changed to purple. When Pokémon get to a higher level, they will start disobeying their trainers. This has caused people to say that Pokémon "worship" gym badges, the badges given when a trainer has beaten a gym in the Pokémon world, because they let your Pokémon obey you again. Despite all the controversy, Pokémon has some ups and downs.
Some people may criticize the Pokémon games for many reasons. A common reason is that Pokémon is "too childish" for older players. This stems from people that have only seen the anime, and that perceives it to be aimed towards young children in front of a TV. People that have played Pokémon before often find it boring because of the repetition. The basic game play includes walking through grass, running into Pokémon, and battling them. Some people say that the games have lost their touch after all these years. This tends to happen with every game series, as gamers like to pick out things that were better "back in the day." Some people even go to the extreme and say that Pokémon is cruel to animals. Some Pokémon resemble animals, but some aren't even close.

Pokémon has a lot of upsides to playing it as well. For example, Pokémon is very open ended. Once you start your adventure, you can, of course, battle, but you can also partake in contests, hatch eggs, and explore the Underground. You can pretty much have an infinite number of different teams of Pokémon. You can choose 6 for your team, and right now there's 493 different Pokémon, so just imagine the possibilities! One of the major things to do in Pokémon games is completing your Pokédex. In order to do this, you have to see and catch all 493 Pokémon. While this can be a very difficult task, it can be done with dedication. Pokémon is also a very social game. It encourages you to play with your friends to trade, battle, and partake in contests. Some Pokémon you even need to trade to evolve or obtain in certain games.

Despite being thought of as a "simple game", Pokémon is very complex under the hood. There's many things that gamers that play online do that the standard player doesn't know about, such as EV training. EV training allows you to get very strong stats for your Pokémon after battling certain Pokémon over and over. You can also raise Pokémon with certain attacks that are harder to get without going through a large chain of events. Another reason that Pokémon is awesome is because of the large online fan base. If you're looking for a community online to talk about Pokémon, there's a whole bunch. Some of the larger ones have people online every day that you can talk to about the Pokémon games.

In conclusion, Pokémon can be very fun if you have a good imagination and enjoy a good time. As with just about anything, Pokémon games can be fun if you want them to be. Make a challenge for yourself if you got bored of it before. If you haven't played Pokémon yet, pick up a copy somewhere and try it out; you may end up really liking it. If you really don’t want to try it, just don’t criticize the games; some people really like them. Maybe even get some friends together and you can all play it!

Do you want to POKéMON with me?
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.
- Isaiah 40:28

Pirate
Poliwhirl Adult
Poliwhirl Adult

#2 Post by Pirate » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:48 pm

You should've mentioned the TV show and manga.

I have to say. It's "did well" not "did good." *coughs*
Joined Poliwager: 10 Sep 2009 3:43 pm PDT
Jr. Mod: 17 Jul 2010 6:57 pm PDT
Mod: 20 Mar 2011 1:20 pm PDT

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by Slix » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:49 pm

Which is why that part wasn't in the paper. And it's late, give me a break. XD

Thing is, I don't watch/read those, and this was about the game. Read title. ;D

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.

Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#4 Post by Jolteon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:51 pm

My first though on reading the title was "What is this blasphemy?"
And I half-expected you to mention a very particular online community...
CHAZE used A BIT OF PROPER GRAMMER! It doesn't affect wild SNEAKACHU...
SMEEL used SHOTGUN! Critical Hit!
SLIX used CHARM! A wild BABE appeared!
STONE used MY LITTLE PONY! It's super effective!
AQUIL used RIBS! Foe WORLD fainted!
A wild GLUTTONY appeared! PIRATICE fainted!
A wild OC appeared! POLIWAGER fainted!

Pirate
Poliwhirl Adult
Poliwhirl Adult

#5 Post by Pirate » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm a spelling grammar freak. Haven't you read my sig? XD

My friend Aaron wrote a college app essay about Pokemon :P

Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#6 Post by Jolteon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Piratice wrote:I'm a spelling grammar freak. Haven't you read my sig? XD

It's a solid essay still though. My friend Aaron wrote a college app essay about Pokemon :P
zomg. Did he get in?

Pirate
Poliwhirl Adult
Poliwhirl Adult

#7 Post by Pirate » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:10 pm

I have no idea. he didn't tell me which college he sent that essay to

Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#8 Post by Gluttony » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:47 am

Keep in mind my criticism comes from a university English style of grading. In other words demanding and blunt. Your essay seems fairly good by highschool or even non-English major college/uni standards, but I'm an English major. I'll "mark" it as a prof would mark one of my papers. Sections I focus in on are blue, my comments are red. (Note that in some cases, like my original comment, "when?", I know when, it's just something you would lose marks on).
Slix wrote: Pokémon, a game made back in 1996, is a game based around creatures called Pokémon, that battle. There have been many games in the series. Right now When?, the 5th generation of major games are preparing for release in America. Pokémon are friendly characters How so?, and they Try using "that" in place of "and they" battle for fun. There has been some controversy about whether Pokémon in the games are being "forced" to fight for their trainers What are trainers?, but nonetheless, people around the world love playing the games Which people? Do you have data to support this claim?. Some other issues Do not use "Some" that have come up are racism and worshiping of false gods Define "racism" and "false gods" by the standards of those who have considered this an issue. Over the years, people have complained that a certain NEVER use this form of the word certain in an essay Pokémon, Jynx, was a racial stereotype because of it's black colored skin, which was later changed to purple Unclear. Is it a stereotype because it's skin was changed to purple? How?. When Pokémon get to a higher level Context needed, they will start disobeying their trainers How so?. This has caused people Who? to say that Pokémon "worship" gym badges, the badges given when a trainer has beaten a gym in the Pokémon world, because they let your Pokémon obey you again. Despite all the controversy, Pokémon has some ups and downs.
Some people Who? may criticize the Pokémon games for many reasons What reasons? You go on to talk about them, so why are you delaying your point here? This hurts your argument. A common reason is that Pokémon is "too childish" for older players. This stems from people that have only seen the anime, and that perceives it to be aimed towards young children in front of a TV Good point. This statement does not use words like "likely" and does a more effective job of arguing your point because of it. People that have played Pokémon before often find it boring because of the repetition What repetition? Again you are delaying your point. Define what repetition is in this instance before saying "the repetition". The basic game play includes walking through grass, running into Pokémon, and battling them. Some people Again, who? say that the games have lost their touch after all these years All which years? How many years are you talking about?. This tends to happen with every game series Generalization. NO. Try to avoid saying that anything is the same in all cases, you'll almost always be wrong, as gamers Better, but still not great. This description is better than saying "some people" but still does not define which gamers you're talking about like to pick out things that were better "back in the day." Define based of the general definition used by the group in question Some people Who? even go to the extreme How is this "the extreme"? and say that Pokémon is cruel to animals. Is there truth in these claims? You go on to talk about categories while avoiding this crucial question Some Pokémon resemble animals, but some aren't even close. Examples? How many is "some"? Is one category more prominent than the other?

Pokémon has a lot of upsides What upsides? Again you delay your point to playing it as well. For example, Pokémon is very open ended. Once you start your adventure, you can, of course Why "of course"? You haven't touched on this in enough detail for it to be considered common knowledge as you seem to be treating it, battle, but you can also partake in contests, hatch eggs, and explore the Underground What are these things? Are they significant?. You can pretty much So in fact what you mean to say is "Can not" have an infinite number of different teams of Pokémon. You can choose 6 for your team, and right now there's 493 different Pokémon, so just imagine the possibilities Don't ask your readers to imagine like this, you want them to agree with you, you should be telling them the possibilities so that they don't need to imagine, they should only need to listen to your authority! One of the So there are other things? Have you not mentioned everything? Why? major things to do in Pokémon games is completing your Pokédex. In order to do this, you have to see and catch all 493 Pokémon. While this can be Don't be so subjective. You will prove your point much better by saying this "is" a difficult task a very difficult task, it can be done with dedication. Pokémon is also a very social game How so? As usual, prove your point before wasting time by stating it. It encourages you How? to play with your friends to trade, battle, and partake in contests. Some Pokémon you even need to trade to evolve or obtain in certain games Which games? Again, never use "certain" like this.

Despite being thought of as a "simple game" By who?, Pokémon is very complex How so? under the hood Avoid slang. There's Avoid apostrophes. Use "There is" or "There are" instead many things What things? that gamers that play online Even better than before as you're now specifying which type of gamer, but be more specific. do that the standard player What is the "standard" player? How have you defined this? doesn't know about, such as EV training. EV training allows you to get very strong stats for your Pokémon after battling certain Pokémon over and over. This is not relevant You can also raise Pokémon with certain attacks Which attacks? Don't use certain like this that are harder to get without going through a large chain of events What does this mean?. Another reason that Pokémon is awesome Why did you take this long to bring up the point mentioned in your title (which seems to be the question you intended to focus on)? This is a major mistake. The point you are arguing needs to be brought up right from the beginning, (and not just in the title) in detail enough that your readers know what you're trying to convince them of is because of the large How large? online fan base. If you're looking for a community online to talk about Pokémon, there's a whole bunch How much is this?. Some of the larger ones Which larger ones? have people online every day that you can talk to about the Pokémon games.

In conclusion, Pokémon can be very fun This is not the original point you were trying to argue if you have a good imagination Define and enjoy a good time This is not necessary since most people do. As with just about anything Again, don't generalize and attempt to apply one concept to everything, Pokémon games can be fun if you want them to be. Make a challenge for yourself if you got bored of it before. If you haven't played Pokémon yet, pick up a copy somewhere and try it out; you may end up really liking it. If you really don’t want to try it, just don’t criticize the games; some people really like them. Maybe even get some friends together and you can all play it! Too personal, and does not seem to focus out the point you're trying to make.
Based on how my prof last year marked things, you had 53 negative comments, so you would take a 2% penalty for each and receive a grade of -6% (which would be rounded to 0%) on this essay.

Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#9 Post by Jolteon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:53 pm

O.o

Guess who's not going to be an English major...

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by Slix » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Wow. Then I fail. XD

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.