Pokemon Black & White

This forum is for the 4th and 5th Generation Pokémon games. Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 topics go here.
Logan
Poliwag Kid
Poliwag Kid

#1 Post by Logan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:57 pm

:lol: The Names Raceist Why Cant they make a grey Seirsly They Put Subliminal Messages Like that everywhere
:D My Eggs Are Unhatched So Can You ummmm I Dont know Shake it up and break it with a hammer for me :lol:

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by Slix » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:02 pm

The way I see it, anyways, is that Black represents the futuristic side of the world, while White represents the past side. I don't see it as racist at all, but that's just me. I don't think GameFreak made it racist at all on purpose either, simply that Black and White are opposites, but need each other at the same time, which is what the games imply and show.

Do you want to POKéMON with me?
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.
- Isaiah 40:28

Logan
Poliwag Kid
Poliwag Kid

#3 Post by Logan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:23 am

Soul Silver Heart Gold Perearl purple dimond clear Fire red Water Blue OH MY GOSH they all repersent colors :lol:
:D My Eggs Are Unhatched So Can You ummmm I Dont know Shake it up and break it with a hammer for me :lol:

Gluttony
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#4 Post by Gluttony » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:12 am

Slix is probably onto something with the future vs. past comparison, and I would also point out that the main connotations of black and white in the context of the Pokemon versions is clearly not race, but rather outlook and morality. The saying "seeing the world in black and white" refers to seeing everything in extremes, for example, good or evil. In-game character N, at one point declares that he will separate black and white so that they will be clearly distinct.

Pokemon of course didn't go the controversial route of labeling either black or white as the "evil" one, and instead represented their extremes though the concepts of truth and idealism. Both of these are good things, and of course the final battle of truth vs. idealism (i.e. the player's last battle against N) is notable in that neither side is evil, and rather the issue is the N's side is misguided in thinking that such morals can (or should) be completely distinct.

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.