Forum Rotation Preview Tournament

Need to complete your Pokédex or want to challenge someone using your new team? Set up a battle or trade with fellow Poliwager Forums members on Pokémon Let's Go, Scarlet, Violet, Sword, Shield, Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon, X, Y, Omega Ruby, or Alpha Sapphire here!
Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#1 Post by Jolteon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:41 pm

As an acid test for the potential of a tournament rotation with another forum, Slix suggested that we try our own tournament to see how it goes. I think this is a great opportunity to test-drive the tournament rotation, and we'll have an excellent example to display to potential partners. It's been a while since I did this, but here goes nothing.

Introduction
This will be a small, laid-back tournament, with lax rules and no real ambitious theme. Based on preliminary assessments of interest, I'm shooting for a bracket of four, but if we get a number higher than that, cool.

Tournament Rules
Bullets are fun. Let's do bullets.

-What platform we use is entirely up to the individual pair of battlers. Black, White 2, Diamond, Soulsilver, it's all good. heck, meet up and battle over the ol' fashioned link cable for all I care. But do use your own game, not a simulator, because simulators are lame.

-The only restrictions on your Pokemon are the following: no legendaries and no duplicates of Pokemon or items (sadly, no all-Wailord teams). If the bracket becomes overrun with Haxorus, Lucario, etc. then I might consider a more restrictive tier list, but for the moment any non-legendary Pokemon are good to go.

-If you are using a fifth generation game, please use the "Flat Rules" option that autolevels your Pokemon to Level 50. This means you can only use three Pokemon, but better that than to give someone an unfair advantage due to higher levels.

The Schedule
The following are the windows for each round; the paired battlers will arrange their battle whenever both of them are available within that window. These aren't terribly strict; if the first available time that both participants can agree on happens to fall outside of the window, I won't eat you. Well, maybe.

Sign-ups: CLOSED
Semifinals: NOW through Monday, August 19
Final: It happens when it happens

If all matches in that round are complete, we'll go ahead and move on to the next round.

Prizes
In the past I made userbars, but it was kind of time-consuming and I'm lazy I don't feel like it. But if some more graphically-talented person wanted to rustle up something similar, that would be dandy.

ALL-STAR PARTICIPANT LIST
Jolteon
Slix
Chaze the Chat
catdogmouse

and the matchups:

Slix vs. Jolteon
Chaze the Chat vs. catdogmouse

These were created by putting the participant list into this function and pairing adjacent names.

I think that's all, let me know if you have any questions. To sign up, just declare your interest here; since it's a smaller tournament, friend codes can be exchanged between individual participants, and they are also able to be seen on users' profiles. Even if you're not a professor of competitive battling, please consider joining; a lot of people have fun just by throwing their in-game team into the mix.
Last edited by Jolteon on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CHAZE used A BIT OF PROPER GRAMMER! It doesn't affect wild SNEAKACHU...
SMEEL used SHOTGUN! Critical Hit!
SLIX used CHARM! A wild BABE appeared!
STONE used MY LITTLE PONY! It's super effective!
AQUIL used RIBS! Foe WORLD fainted!
A wild GLUTTONY appeared! PIRATICE fainted!
A wild OC appeared! POLIWAGER fainted!

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by Slix » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:12 pm

-Made a few small adjustments-

I'll join in! Hoping people want to do a gen 5 (BWB2W2) tournament, as that has my best Pokémon and the most versatile stuff in it.

EDIT: Woo, quick one whipped up just because I wanted to try it out. Hopefully it's the right size, I found conflicting sizes online. :P

Code: Select all

[url=http://forums.poliwager.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1068][img]http://i39.tinypic.com/2rwkohv.png[/img][/url]
[/color]

Do you want to POKéMON with me?
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.
- Isaiah 40:28

Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#3 Post by Jolteon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Edit 8/11/13: Sign-ups are extended until Wednesday
The forums have been dead and a lot of the regulars have been MIA, so I'll let sign-ups run over so everyone sees this in time.

--------------------------------

Wheeee people! Welcome aboard!
Slix wrote:I'll join in! Hoping people want to do a gen 5 (BWB2W2) tournament, as that has my best Pokémon and the most versatile stuff in it.
Ulterior motives? CORRUPTION! FIGHT THE SYSTEM!

Chaze the Chat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Chaze the Chat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm in. Woot

I don't care, if we're dead, I am Captain Splendid.

Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#5 Post by Jolteon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Chaze the Chat wrote:I'm in. Woot
Aw yiss. Three whole people WE'RE SO POPULAR I CAN'T EVEN HANDLE IT

*summoning dance for fourth person*

catdogmouse
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#6 Post by catdogmouse » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:25 am

OK, I'll do it. Your dance worked ;)
...Wait, What?

ImageImageImageImageImage

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by Slix » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Well guys, what gen are we doing?

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.

catdogmouse
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#8 Post by catdogmouse » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Either 4 or 5 is fine with me...
...Wait, What?

ImageImageImageImageImage

Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#9 Post by Jolteon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Welcome aboard catdogmouse! It's great to have you here.
Slix wrote:Well guys, what gen are we doing?
Jolteon wrote:What platform we use is entirely up to the individual pair of battlers. Black, White 2, Diamond, Soulsilver, it's all good.
So there wouldn't be an overarching decision. Say the two pairings are Chaze/Jolt and Slix/CDM; then Chaze and I could use Gen 4 and the other pair could use Gen 5. We're taking it match by match because it grants greater flexibility .

Additionally, a rule update: if you're using the Black/White WiFi Room, please use the "Flat Rules" option that autolevels your Pokemon to Level 50. If both participants have teams maxed out at Level 100, feel free to do an open battle, but otherwise, we don't want anyone to get an unfair advantage.

I'm going to officially close sign-ups, since I think all the regulars have been on since the thread went up. I'll find some kind of randomizer and post the matchups here and in the top post. Good luck to everyone!

EDIT: The top post has been updated with the new rule and the battle pairs!
Jolteon wrote:Slix vs. Jolteon
Chaze the Chat vs. catdogmouse

These were created by putting the participant list into this function and pairing adjacent names.
The window for completing the first round matches ends Monday, but with a bracket this size I don't see that as a hard deadline, but more of a guide. Normally I would recommend scheduling the match with your opponent ahead of time, but since we're all pretty active I think we'll be okay.

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by Slix » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 pm

I haven't done many wifi battles over gen 5, but doesn't it let you select 3 of your 6 to battle with?

Anyway, Jolteon, if you're ready we can battle right now! Gen 5 (wifi at my house currently only works for gen 5...) my friend code is in my profile, tell me when ready.

Edit: Also need your code, put them in your profile guys, it makes it easier!

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.