Black and White Release Tournament

Need to complete your Pokédex or want to challenge someone using your new team? Set up a battle or trade with fellow Poliwager Forums members on Pokémon Let's Go, Scarlet, Violet, Sword, Shield, Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon, X, Y, Omega Ruby, or Alpha Sapphire here!
Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#1 Post by Jolteon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Black and White Release Tournament
March 2011
Co-organizers: smeel and Jolteon

Welcome to the Black and White Release Tournament! To kick off the the release of the new games Black and White and celebrate five generations of Pokemon, Poliwager is hosting another knockout tournament.

Links:
Official Poliwager Tournaments site - run by smeel
Check out the tourney site for tournament news, a bracket archive, updated schedules and more!

Main Poliwager Tournaments Thread
The forum home of Poliwager Tournaments. This is the place for questions, suggestions, and general tourney news.

Advertise the tournament on other sites with this spiffy userbar!
[code]Image[/code]

Tournament Rules:
The tourney is a knockout bracket style this month. Contestants will be randomly assigned a place in the bracket, and depending on numbers some may have more matches than others. The winner of the match will move on to the next round, and the loser will, unfortunately, be eliminated. The winner of the final match will be named champion, and the loser of that match runner-up. Simple enough, no?
Even though this tourney is focused around the games, Pokemon Black and White versions are not usable games. As much as the inclusion of 150 new Pokemon would spice things up, we'd like to wait until the vast majority of the tourney-goers has the game until we allow it. It's easier for Black/White users to move down to Generation 4 than it is to demand everyone buy Black or White.

Battle Rules:
The rule set poll has been discontinued, because it was more trouble than its worth. The battle rules will change from month to month, similar to the tournament layout. This month we are mixing it up a bit:
-Standard tier list ("True" legends are still banned, for a complete list just look on any Pokemon site like Serebii or Psypoke. Just ask if you have a question).
-Switching is allowed.
The rest is really common sense: no hacks, etc. If you have a question, just ask.

Recaps:
Recaps are completely optional, but for those who aren't participating or have been eliminated, recaps are a nice way for everyone to enjoy your battle. If you do decide on doing a recap, taking notes is a good idea. Here is a good example of a recap (by Slix):
The tournament started off greatly as Jolt defeated slix 4-0(As in pokemon left).

Slix sent out LitlFightr first, a Hitmontop, and used Fake Out. Arcanine, Jolteon's first Pokémon, flinched, and then used Flare Blitz. LitlFightr held on, with only 10 HP, used Revenge, and knocked out Arcanine.

Jolteon sent out Jolteon next (ironic huh?) and Slix switched out to Swampert. Swampert used Earthquake, just as Jolteon was withdrawn for another Swampert! Jolteon's Swampert was left with about half of it's HP.

Slix's Swampert then used Ice Beam, it wasn't very effective. Jolteon's Swampert used Waterfall.

Jolteon's Swampert used Earthquake, and Slix's used Hammer Arm (miss).

Slix's used Waterfall, and Jolteon's Swampert was nearly knocked out. Jolteon's Swampert used Waterfall and knocks out Slix's Swampert.

Slix sends out Poliwag, and Jolteon switches to Jolteon. Poliwag uses Psychic, and gets Jolteon down to about 3/4 HP.

Jolteon uses Thunderbolt, and Poliwag faints. Slix sends out KIM, Gardevoir. KIM uses Psychic. Jolteon withdraws, and sends out Probopass. Critical Hit!

KIM uses Focus Blast, and knocks out Probopass!

Jolteon sends out Weavile, and knocks out KIM using Night Slash!

Slix then sends out LitlFightr again. LitlFightr takes a hit from Weavile, using Ice Punch, and faints.

Slix sends out Crobat, and uses Cross Poison. Weavile uses Ice Punch, and knocks out Crobat.

Slix sends out his last Pokémon, Blaed, a Scyther. Weavile uses Ice Punch again.

The battle's over. Slix loses to Jolteon!
Prizes:
As always, the prizes will be themed userbars by yours truly. However, this month we are doing things a little differently. Instead of being assigned userbars based on your standing in the tournament, users will request userbars at the end of the tourney, and I will slap the rank ("Participant", "Champion", etc.) right on there. There are five choices, listed below. Note that the sprites of that generation will be used, so the Kanto and Johto choices will look a little more vintage.
Kanto (Charizard and Blastoise)
Johto (Ho-oh and Lugia)
Hoenn (Kyogre and Groudon)
Sinnoh (Dialga and Palkia)
Unova (Reshiram and Zekrom)

Sign-ups:
Sign-ups are now over. If you just missed the deadline, sign-ups for the next tourney will be posted ten days before the beginning of the month.

The Contestants:

Jolteon
Platinum FC: 2965 4465 6757

smeel
Pearl FC: 4727 6918 9370

Chaze the Chat
SoulSilver FC: 4512 3963 9193

Slix
Diamond FC: 1289 6339 6793

The Schedule:
Specific matches will be posted when sign-ups close. For now, we have the round windows. This is the space of time alloted for each round, and may be adjusted if we have more/less rounds than we thought we might. If all matches are done, we will progress to the next round. The closing/opening time for all windows is 9:00 PM Eastern.
Round 1: Feb. 28 (after 9)- March 15
Jolteon vs. smeel
Slix vs. Chaze the Chat

Final: March 15 - March 31
W Jolteon/Smeel vs. W Slix/Chaze the Chat

The Results:
We don't have any yet, for obvious reasons. Wins/losses will go here, and though the bracket seems a little ridiculous given the tourney's size, that will be posted on the website soon.
Last edited by Jolteon on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CHAZE used A BIT OF PROPER GRAMMER! It doesn't affect wild SNEAKACHU...
SMEEL used SHOTGUN! Critical Hit!
SLIX used CHARM! A wild BABE appeared!
STONE used MY LITTLE PONY! It's super effective!
AQUIL used RIBS! Foe WORLD fainted!
A wild GLUTTONY appeared! PIRATICE fainted!
A wild OC appeared! POLIWAGER fainted!

Chaze the Chat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#2 Post by Chaze the Chat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:36 pm

I'm in.

Chaze: 4512 3963 9193 SS

I don't care, if we're dead, I am Captain Splendid.

Ubunchu
Poliwag Adult
Poliwag Adult
Location: 5th gym, staring very closely at the dead pixel at the bottom right of the screen...

#3 Post by Ubunchu » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:21 pm

I would but unfortunately I have no pokemon games for my DS, I wont have one until March 6th when Black and White come out.
Without dreams or memories, who are you? Nothing, nothing but a soul without a cause.

Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#4 Post by Jolteon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Don't worry, as far as I can tell most people are getting Black or White, (myself included) and we do one of these every month.
CHAZE used A BIT OF PROPER GRAMMER! It doesn't affect wild SNEAKACHU...
SMEEL used SHOTGUN! Critical Hit!
SLIX used CHARM! A wild BABE appeared!
STONE used MY LITTLE PONY! It's super effective!
AQUIL used RIBS! Foe WORLD fainted!
A wild GLUTTONY appeared! PIRATICE fainted!
A wild OC appeared! POLIWAGER fainted!

Ubunchu
Poliwag Adult
Poliwag Adult
Location: 5th gym, staring very closely at the dead pixel at the bottom right of the screen...

#5 Post by Ubunchu » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Sweetness! I hope to take you on then when they have the next one! :poliwag:
Without dreams or memories, who are you? Nothing, nothing but a soul without a cause.

Chaze the Chat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Chaze the Chat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:16 pm

I can actually enter one now. XD

Ubunchu
Poliwag Adult
Poliwag Adult

#7 Post by Ubunchu » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:26 pm

Like you couldn't before?

Chaze the Chat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by Chaze the Chat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Ubunchu wrote:Like you couldn't before?
A pokemon B/W one.

Ubunchu
Poliwag Adult
Poliwag Adult

#9 Post by Ubunchu » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:35 pm

Oh, cool, but you have to use the American version so that you won't have a head start that none of us have.(like having high leveled pokemon right away)

Chaze the Chat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by Chaze the Chat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:37 pm

We would use Level 100 all, and we could use traded over pokemon. Your objection is invalid. TAKE THAT!

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.