Anyone still play Gen 6/Gen 7?

This forum is for the 6th and 7th Generation Pokémon games. Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon topics go here.
ookamijuuri64
Poliwag Baby
Poliwag Baby

#1 Post by ookamijuuri64 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:50 pm

Been on the forums for a while, but it's a first time posting a topic myself.

I know a lot of folks were able to get a Switch and have played the current generation games (along with excitement for the Sinnoh Remakes), but as the topic title suggests: are there still players on either the Kalos or Alola games or even enjoying Hoenn's remakes?

As someone that has only gotten Sun and Moon at launch (was lucky enough to pre-order from Gamestop, won't do it again as I'm still bitter about not getting the pre-order bonus of the poster), it was a mixture of still seeing the usual Pokemon antics in the previous entries while seeing it jump more into a 3D world with the ability to connect and play with our Pokemon. Considering how late I was to generation 6 I wasn't able to do much with Global Link before its shut down prior to generation 8's announcement. With what generation 7 got was a bit disappointing personally unless you're into a lot of competitive battling which I'm willing to bet a lot of players here do.

Wondertrade was fun and that was how most of my Pokemon were obtained for my X completion of the Kalosian Dex. Aside from the handful of players that I thought were able to bypass the filters to input some questionable status messages, it's an easy way to get a better chance at the lottery in Lumiose City. Shame that the ability to have a custom message for trades was removed in Sun/Moon but with the experience listed above it's not a surprise as to why that happened...

Sun and Moon had a mixed reception with me: it was refreshing for the new features it brought along with the annoyances here and there. Granted USUM "fixed" most of it along with a new method of getting BP (haven't got to the Battle Tree but been hearing mixed thoughts on it).

Aside from my ramblings, what are some of your thoughts? Anyone still playing? If you play X and Y still, what are your thoughts on the Friend Safari?

Been a fan since Pokemon Yellow and my heart always belonged in Sinnoh.

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by Slix » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:44 pm

I picked up Ultra Moon last a bit before Sword and Shield came out, but after Let's Go was already out. I was still shiny hunting on that game. The games are definitely not bad to go back to, and I do prefer carrying my 3DS around to my Switch, since it's more pocketable. The games themselves, somewhat meh. If I were to play an older game for a while, I'd probably go back to White 2 instead of any of the 3DS ones. There was always more to do I felt like. Friend Safari was a neat feature though! Feel free to add my 3DS code if you want to, I think I had a Flying-type Safari.

Do you want to POKéMON with me?
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.
- Isaiah 40:28

NovariusHaze
Donor
Donor

#3 Post by NovariusHaze » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:54 am

I haven’t played Gen 6 or 7 in a while. I have been busy shiny hunting in Gen 8 and Pokémon Go. I do play to go back at some point since I still have legendaries to shiny hunt in ORAS and USUM.
I’ve been buying the games at launch since platinum. I actually preordered SwSh risking the chance to get it early but I ended up getting it late. I did get a cool Banner tho.
Gen 6 was actually a fun game. It’s cute and very colourful compared to gen 5 which is very dark coloured. Gen 6 is very themed around beauty as it is based on France. The rivals are kinda meh. Not found of the super friendly rival type. Blue and Hugh are great. Barry is at least comical. Gen 6 is actually the game that got be hardcore into shiny hunting. I technically started shiny hunting in gen 5 in White 2 with the introduction of the shiny charm, and even managed to hatch two shinys, but Gen 6 was a shiny hunters dream (unless you are a full odd hunter). Gen 6 has by far the most shiny hunting methods of any generation.
Regular REs
SRs
Horde battles
Chain fishing
Chain Radar (XY)
DexNav (ORAS)
Masuda Method
Friend Safari (XY)
And you have the shiny charm that’s stacks with all methods AND the standard odds has doubled, you by default have twice the odds of finding a shiny than previous generations.
After I beat the game I mainly did was shiny hunt. I loved breeding tho methods like Chain fishing, Hordes, and Friend Safari gave fast shinys.
Other than shiny hunting Gen 6 has one of my favourite soundtracks from a Pokémon game, and it really resonated with me when I first played it. Unfortunately no Pokémon game since has done that. I actually looked it up and apparently a composer of older generations like 4, 5, and 6 left when they did gen 7, and 8.
I think I played the gen 6 story more than any other Pokémon game. I had extra copies and was bored a few times so I did a few Nuzlockes and Wondelockes. WLs are great because of the randomness but you get over levelled very fast. NLs has the benefit to nickname your Pokémon which I liked.
Almost forgot. Gen 6 introduced mega evolution which was the COOLEST THING THEY INTRODUCED TO POKEMON. I loved megas. Sad they didn’t make any more after ORAS.

Gen 7 was cool. The region is based on Hawaii which influenced much of the games art and music, which I didn’t care much for. Trials was an interesting new take on gyms tho I think I like gyms more. I like the focus on the gym leader and not the Pokémon. The story was LONG. So much text and cutscenes. It was terrible. I think the only thing I liked was Lillie and Nebby. Always thought it was weird that the Legendary was personified and even nicknamed during the story.
After catching the Legendary
Lillie: Take good care of Nebby!
Me: He’s Doomlion now.
Lillie: But.. I named him...
Me: Doomlion.
Gen 7 definitely had a more interesting story tho USUMs was worse. I liked the focus on the pain of Lusamine after losing her husband and going crazy after getting obsessed with Ultra Beasts. Ultra Lusamine was epic looking tho sadly you can’t obtain a Nihilego in that Ultra form.
Speaking of Ultra Beasts, I loved them. The idea of a sub set of legendaries being aliens from other dimensions was awesome and they had rad designs. I was disappointed they were shiny locked tho fortunately and suspiciously they were unlocked in USUM. I managed to get every Ultra Beast shiny.
Gen 7 I think was the introduction of weird shiny charm affects, most specifically certain methods to obtain a Pokémon aren’t affected by the shiny charm. This was the case for gift Pokémon so every gift Pokémon I hunted was full odds. 3 Type Nulls, two Poipoles, and two surf pikachus.
SOS was an interesting way to shiny hunt. There is actually a method with Exeggutor where you can virtually can indefinitely SOS (otherwise the wild Pokémon struggles to death). This is with Harvest, Bestow, Skill Swap, and a Leppa Berry so they continue to restore their PP.
I managed to get a decent amount of SOS shinys. Mainly Bagon because I was trying to get a shiny Lv.9 Salamance. SOS battles were filled with under levelled Pokémon. Unfortunately Pokémon Go has kinda ruined that due to how the mechanics of the game work, you can basically get almost any Pokémon at level 1.
I noticed that Gen 6 had more waifubait than previous generations, specifically the NPCs. There was a couple of cute ones in each game of previous regions but Gen 6 had a lot. Gen 7 started the important character waifubait with all the female trial captains and even Lusamine and Lillie. Bruh even Anabel returned and she looked way better than her Emerald design. I’m curious if GameFreak did this on purpose. Gen 8 had a serious craze with the gym leaders too. Everyone was doing fan art of Nessa, Bea, etc.
I think the best part was the memes from Gen 7. Gen 7 was very meme heavy and it continued in gen 8. GET IN THE BAG.
Lastly, an idea I had since Platinum was Pokémon of different types. Like a fire type Piplup. When I saw the reveal of Alolan forms I gasp because they were so cool. I’m glad they made Galarian forms too. My only disappointment was that some regional variants are only applied to the evolutions so there isn’t any alolan Cubone or Pichu, and that really peeved me. In USUM you can actually evolve Pokémon such as Pikachu into their Kanto forms via Ultra Space, which I thought was cool. SwSh didn’t introduce any mechanic like that. Not even in the DLC. Instead you just catch them in the Dynamax Adventure or something.
My final thoughts are that since Gen 6, and 7 were on the 3DS they have this pixel filter to run the game better. Having played SwSh in HD with the beautiful switch models, going back is kinda of difficult since now it looks very unappealing. Other than that Gen 6, and 7 are great and have their pros and cons.
Sorry for the long read by the way.

I love squirtle line
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager
Location: A secret place that you will never visit unless you know me very personally

#4 Post by I love squirtle line » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:53 am

I am.
Party:

Mewtwo battle:

Oshi
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator
Location: In a land filled with dreams and adventures, or behind you

#5 Post by Oshi » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:00 am

Wow. The differences between Hazeys and squirltes post.
Really tells you the person. You know?

Anyways, I liked the two Gens. I had quite my fun in them, messed around with some hacks too.
I haven't finished all the side game in either of them though. Guess I can do that soon.
(_\ (_) (_) (_) (_) /_)
(o . o) (ᗜ ˬ ᗜ) (o . o)
('')_('') ('')_('') ('')_('')

...Boki!

Weknd

I love squirtle line
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager
Location: A secret place that you will never visit unless you know me very personally

#6 Post by I love squirtle line » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:31 pm

It tells you the person?
Party:

Mewtwo battle:

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by Slix » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:39 pm

I love squirtle line wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:31 pm It tells you the person?
I think he’s implying that you should add more details to your post. What are you still doing in them? What games?

Do you want to POKéMON with me?
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.
- Isaiah 40:28

I love squirtle line
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager

#8 Post by I love squirtle line » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:54 pm

Oh. Never mind.
Party:

Mewtwo battle:

ookamijuuri64
Poliwag Baby
Poliwag Baby

#9 Post by ookamijuuri64 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:11 pm

Slix wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:44 pm I picked up Ultra Moon last a bit before Sword and Shield came out, but after Let's Go was already out. I was still shiny hunting on that game. The games are definitely not bad to go back to, and I do prefer carrying my 3DS around to my Switch, since it's more pocketable. The games themselves, somewhat meh. If I were to play an older game for a while, I'd probably go back to White 2 instead of any of the 3DS ones. There was always more to do I felt like. Friend Safari was a neat feature though! Feel free to add my 3DS code if you want to, I think I had a Flying-type Safari.
How interesting! I haven't been able to get my hands/paws on a Switch console (unsure of whether to go with the regular or lite considering that I do like that option of playing on the TV since I have now an HDMI TV to do so) or the games due to how scalpers I've heard are on that kick with the systems and money being tight is making matters a bit more against me... Might be why I've turned to the fan sites like this and PFQ recently to hold me back for a bit.

I admit that I had that phase when it came to both X/Y & Sun/Moon. Ultra Sun was an improvement as mentioned and Omega Ruby hasn't been touched in a good while since I've ran into a bit of a self made "bug" that crashed the game with the Pokedex. I still recall a bit of how I managed to produce the issue that caused the game to pop the error message up, but fearful of it possibly causing damage to the save file as it does require me to exit out of the game.

Honestly, I think its great to see another Pokemon fan that likes the Unova games with the first impressions of Black/White being more on the negative side of things. In one hand, most of the Pokemon in those games are indeed Unova native and new whereas you don't see the older ones until you complete the main story. Black 2/White 2 I do recall has a good amount of post-game material to play with compared to the 3DS generations of the games. Even if I wasn't good at doing competitive battling I admit to doing more shopping on the Royal Avenue... That, or seeing if I can get progress made on Pokestar Studio Films.

But regardless, I think everyone seems to have that one generation that they adore so much that they enjoy going back to it and playing it again. I admit that was the same for me when I played the Sinnoh games a bit...

I might have to take up on that offer! I sadly haven't been up to much with exchanging FCs lately and still am curious to know what type I've ended up with - and I believe I do offer an extra mon since I got into the hall of fame. :mrgreen:

Been a fan since Pokemon Yellow and my heart always belonged in Sinnoh.

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.