Get this forum in gear

Have an idea about what should be added to Poliwager to make it better? Have a question about how to do something on the site? Share and ask here!
Asha
Donor
Donor

#11 Post by Asha » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:47 pm

I too have been advertising :)

My Adoptable Army

Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#12 Post by Jolteon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:04 pm

I found a few possible partners for the tournament rotation. Only one really sticks out as a perfect fit, so if there's enough interest there I might just leave it at a two-forum event for the first time, and expand it later.

Top choice: http://lakevalor.net/forums

They've just hit 900 members, making them more or less our size. They've got some decent WiFi activity and some attempts at organizing tournaments that ended up falling through (weird, that sounds familiar).

Other options:

http://bbs.studio-revolution.net/index.php

It's a good size, though primarily art-based. There was a tournament organized last month, but they used an online simulator and I don't know how interested they'd be in a WiFi version. Still, not a bad option.

http://lavendertown.x10.mx/forums/index.php

A definite third choice--the main basis of the site is Pokemon-themed creepypasta, but there's some more general discussion if you scroll down. Their userbase is small (42 members) but active (6302 total posts), giving them a post-per-user ratio about 50 more than Poliwager's.

I was planning on waiting for Slix's blessing on this, but as smeel said, we should probably just get everything started on our own. There's no real reason for delaying on this, so I'll start drafting a message to the Lake Valor people and go from there.
CHAZE used A BIT OF PROPER GRAMMER! It doesn't affect wild SNEAKACHU...
SMEEL used SHOTGUN! Critical Hit!
SLIX used CHARM! A wild BABE appeared!
STONE used MY LITTLE PONY! It's super effective!
AQUIL used RIBS! Foe WORLD fainted!
A wild GLUTTONY appeared! PIRATICE fainted!
A wild OC appeared! POLIWAGER fainted!

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by Slix » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:24 pm

I agree with checking in and making some friends on Lake Valor and actually, Lavender Town is an affiliate of Poliwager's so they'd likely want to participate, I can handle that one at least, when I'm available to get on a computer in a few days.

Do you want to POKéMON with me?
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.
- Isaiah 40:28

Jolteon
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#14 Post by Jolteon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:23 pm

WELP the Lake Valor people are not on board. The admins had a conference and decided that "there is not enough interest in battling at the moment". Fair enough, I suppose. The community itself seems cool.

I'll try the BBS Studio people later, and I'll defer to you on Lavender Town. I probably should have checked our affiliates first, I was just clicking around various topsite lists and clicking on all their affiliates. On that note, there are a ton of Portuguese-language fan sites.
CHAZE used A BIT OF PROPER GRAMMER! It doesn't affect wild SNEAKACHU...
SMEEL used SHOTGUN! Critical Hit!
SLIX used CHARM! A wild BABE appeared!
STONE used MY LITTLE PONY! It's super effective!
AQUIL used RIBS! Foe WORLD fainted!
A wild GLUTTONY appeared! PIRATICE fainted!
A wild OC appeared! POLIWAGER fainted!

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by Slix » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:29 pm

To get back to the other things mentioned in this topic:

1) I completely agree with other people helping spread the word of Poliwager. Who are potential new members going to trust more, the owner of the site who obviously loves his site, or the fellow members that have been supporters as well as members who are here because they love it?

2) Next time I try to market Poliwager with a forum signature or something, I'll definitely try using the "small, friendly community that just hang out" idea, because that's exactly what we are here.

3) I've been trying Jolt's idea for the Adoptables for a while, with ideas like the berries and Snorlax that are completely original, as well as expanding the adoptable Pokémon egg aspect at the site's roots.

4) Events work but only some times. Short term events might work, but people tend not to stay after they end if they aren't satisfied. However, I think we can try the tournament or minecraft as mentioned, just to see how it works out. Anything can work, we want to expand our visitor base as much as possible, after all.

It really comes down to keeping everything active, advertising Poliwager without being annoying, and continuing to have a good time here so new members will be welcomed when they do come.

Everyone, you know what to do!

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.

Asha
Donor
Donor

#16 Post by Asha » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:08 am

I've recently become a member of the spriters resource which I am attempting to find the likes of BeSPe and a few others that helped me when I owned the pokeworld (1000 members) however no luck so far.

I am however advertising on TSR so hopefully we shall have a few spriters appear soon.

My Adoptable Army

Pirate
Poliwhirl Adult
Poliwhirl Adult

#17 Post by Pirate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:58 pm

I'm all in favor of anything that involves organizing the forums. Way too messy for my liking. :s
Joined Poliwager: 10 Sep 2009 3:43 pm PDT
Jr. Mod: 17 Jul 2010 6:57 pm PDT
Mod: 20 Mar 2011 1:20 pm PDT

Asha
Donor
Donor

#18 Post by Asha » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:45 am

I agree with Pira the forums do need a bit of a clean up.

When I managed the PokeWorld we had a section where locked topics went perhaps this is something we could look into?

My Adoptable Army

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by Slix » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:07 pm

While that may seem more organized, if you're looking for a topic that was in the Black and White section, but then got locked, it might be very hard to find it quickly. I do want to organize in other ways though, if possible.

Pirate
Poliwhirl Adult
Poliwhirl Adult

#20 Post by Pirate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:03 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of locking topics that have no new posts after 30 days but leave it where it is and if someone wants to unlock it to continue the conversation, they can PM a Mod to unlock it. That's what we did on another forum I mod-ed for.
Joined Poliwager: 10 Sep 2009 3:43 pm PDT
Jr. Mod: 17 Jul 2010 6:57 pm PDT
Mod: 20 Mar 2011 1:20 pm PDT

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.