New Poliwager Competition

Have an idea about what should be added to Poliwager to make it better? Have a question about how to do something on the site? Share and ask here!
Nitra999
Poliwag Teenager
Poliwag Teenager
Location: Antarctica, where I have enough internet access to regularly go online.

#1 Post by Nitra999 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:22 am

Yesterday my friend gave me some sprites to mesh together, and I thought about the Fanfiction Contest held a month ago, so I thought: "Why don't we have a spriting competition? We already have a fanfiction contest, and they're two types of Pokémon fan-made media."
If there's a reason that we don't have one already, then that's okay. I was just wondering if we could do this.
Also, as an added bonus, the sprites could be added to Poliwager Adoptables as Novelty Pokémon if they were created from scratch.
What do you guys think?
I really missed this place.
Image ImageImage
Click on them if you want to, but if you see this then you've already helped.
Thanks!

KetsuekiR
Poliwag Teenager
Poliwag Teenager

#2 Post by KetsuekiR » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:30 pm

I have no idea how to sprite but I think this is a great idea! That said, I don't know if we'd have enough people sign up for it to be a proper competition. It might end up being like the fanfiction contest where (and this was my fault, really) you just had one person participate. It's more than likely since spriting isn't as common as writing anyway.

In any case, I still love the concept of it! (:

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by Slix » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:33 pm

I like this idea! We had a smaller one a few years back when the Easter Happiny was created, so it definitely has potential.

My only concern with it is how it would be structured. Would it be limited to one single Pokémon, or one theme (like summer-themed)?

Also, I'm hesitant to do it now simply from the small amount of activity on the forums here. When we did the writing contest, hardly anyone even saw it (despite it being on the updates menu of the Adoptables), so it ultimately led it to be not that successful. If we first get the forums active enough, then perhaps we can revisit this idea. I'm still open to suggestions about this though! :)

-----
I went to post this and saw that Ketsu had posted right before me. You took the words right out of my mouth!

Do you want to POKéMON with me?
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.
- Isaiah 40:28

Nitra999
Poliwag Teenager
Poliwag Teenager
Location: Antarctica, where I have enough internet access to regularly go online.

#4 Post by Nitra999 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks!
I'll get my friends more active (the friend I mentioned in the original post is actually a member), but even then, we probably wouldn't have enough. Based on what I've seen, people tend to not do things if they can't see the reward being easy. So, what if there was a reward for participation, rather than winning? People would want to enter a lot more, making the forums more active and the competition going.
I would do this (I'm not saying that you should do this, just that I would): Run a few tests on Poliwager Adoptables, such as a "click 1250 Pokémon today, and get a Stardust. If people do it, I would push them, making them participate in different challenges, sort of like individual Funfest Missions. Eventually, a competition would have a lot more participants, not only allowing for a competition, but making the entire site more active.

What do you think?
Image ImageImage
Thanks!

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by Slix » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:58 pm

Participation awards seem like a good idea in this instance. I've done that in the past where anyone participating for a monthly event would get a Nugget, for instance.

I like the idea of a personal daily Funfest-styled mission. Imagine that every day there is a different mission and prize, like you said, you wake up and see that it's "Interact with 1500 Pokémon today, get a Stardust", people are much more willing to do something like that.

However, that doesn't necessarily make the Forums more active, since we see the Adoptables getting activity every day but the Forums hardly gaining new members or posts. I could see something like that bringing some activity to the Forums, but the ratio unfortunately seems to be much smaller in regards to the Forums' activity compared to the Adoptables. :/

One idea that's been popping back into my mind is one we did a while back. We had a posting competition years ago where the goal was to post the most during the month/season, without spamming, of course. But the problem I see is that many users of the Adoptables simply don't know much about the Forums, or they aren't interested in the Forum concept at all.

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.

Nitra999
Poliwag Teenager
Poliwag Teenager

#6 Post by Nitra999 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:01 pm

That's true. I hadn't thought about the difference between the Forums and Adoptables. I'll try to think of a way to spread the activity, but other than that, I can't think of anything to do. Thanks for thinking about it, though!
Image ImageImage
Thanks!

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by Slix » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Sure thing! Thanks for the suggestions, and I hope we can get some activity spread more throughout the entire site, not just the Adoptables too!

evergreenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by evergreenn » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:26 pm

So, what if there was a reward for participation?
What if we did a sprite competition and those who enter would get to adopt the winning Pokemon? In addition, you could use the Pokemon as a prize for another competition (the month's event or even another forum-led competition.)

I just really like the idea of the sprite competition (I'll take any excuse to make some more novelties!) we just need an incentive for everyone involved.

Audrey729
Poliwag Teenager
Poliwag Teenager
Location: I live in the middle of the Arctic Ocean. Don't worry about me, we have plenty of hot spots out here

#9 Post by Audrey729 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:00 pm

evergreenn wrote:
So, what if there was a reward for participation?
What if we did a sprite competition and those who enter would get to adopt the winning Pokemon? In addition, you could use the Pokemon as a prize for another competition (the month's event or even another forum-led competition.)

I just really like the idea of the sprite competition (I'll take any excuse to make some more novelties!) we just need an incentive for everyone involved.
I really like that idea! I've already done some spriting myself, if you've seen my Magikarp/Trapinch/Apricot and my profile picture right now. I think it would be GREAT if we made the winning Sprite a new Pokémon.
This is my huge signature of pokemon, but at least I finally got that Mewtwo!

Asha
Donor
Donor

#10 Post by Asha » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:11 pm

Ahh I can feel my spriting days may be coming back :lol: :lol:

These sorts of competitions can be hugely succesful in bringing new activity to a forum, it did wonders for my forum. Unfortunately that forum was built with multiple spriters already being present, Poliwager on the other hand has very few spriters which may cause a problem in terms of entrants :?

It could work if executed correctly, I would participate in this competition (provided I had the time).

My Adoptable Army

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.