AMA: Ask Me Anything! Slix Edition

Have something you want to chat about that's not a focus of another forum already? Feel free to talk about life, ask everyday questions, talk to other members, and take polls here.
[The Poliwager Chatterbox]
Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#41 Post by Slix » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:16 am

Unova. I think the region is really pretty and has cool landscapes and different environments.

Do you want to POKéMON with me?
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.
- Isaiah 40:28

ClaratheBlaziken
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#42 Post by ClaratheBlaziken » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:08 pm

Where did you originally get the idea for Poliwager.net?

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#43 Post by Slix » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:42 pm

Well the domain itself was a no brainer after having the website for a year and a half. ;)

But in all seriousness, I wanted a Pokémon related name and didn’t want something “generic” like “The Pokémon Club” or something. A few years prior to 2008 I was on a Pokémon site called Pokémon Crater and had a few accounts there for some reason, one of them being Poliwager. I love Poliwag and wanted to make a unique website name so I googled “Poliwager” and only 3 results showed up. I found a unique name! Poliwager was born. I chose .net because it sounded less corporate and more fun too. The first couple pages I created were about in game mechanics for Diamond and Pearl, which were new at the time. The Forum and Adoptables came later because I was inspired by other similar sites I was a part of.

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom.

I love squirtle line
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager
Location: A secret place that you will never visit unless you know me very personally

#44 Post by I love squirtle line » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:38 pm

Slix, was all the code for Poliwager your original code before you had any mods helping you out?
Party:

Mewtwo battle:

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#45 Post by Slix » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:47 pm

I love squirtle line wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:38 pm Slix, was all the code for Poliwager your original code before you had any mods helping you out?
The Adoptables was based on a starter adopter script that was available in 2010 but over time I basically changed the entire site over to my own code. Currently no one else helps with coding the site, just me.

I love squirtle line
Poliwhirl Teenager
Poliwhirl Teenager
Location: A secret place that you will never visit unless you know me very personally

#46 Post by I love squirtle line » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:44 pm

Slix wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:47 pm Currently no one else helps with coding the site, just me.
Is it hard to do it all by yourself?
Party:

Mewtwo battle:

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#47 Post by Slix » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:07 am

Sometimes, but I get a lot of help with ideas from the moderators and it’s helpful to me that I do all the coding so I know exactly what I’m looking for when working on something.

Oshi
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator
Location: In a land filled with dreams and adventures, or behind you

#48 Post by Oshi » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:44 pm

Hey bro what do you mean? I made code on the site! I edited the Emolga CSS. Haha

Oh I guess since I'm posting here, hmm... What is your Pokemon game tier list?
(_\ (_) (_) (_) (_) /_)
(o . o) (ᗜ ˬ ᗜ) (o . o)
('')_('') ('')_('') ('')_('')

...Boki!

Weknd

ClaratheBlaziken
Poliwag Grandparent
Poliwag Grandparent

#49 Post by ClaratheBlaziken » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:55 pm

I don't know if I've ever asked or not, but has the Poliwager server ever been attacked? I.E a DDOS attack? A bot raid? Etc?

Slix
Administrator
Administrator

#50 Post by Slix » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:57 pm

Oshi wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:44 pm Hey bro what do you mean? I made code on the site! I edited the Emolga CSS. Haha

Oh I guess since I'm posting here, hmm... What is your Pokemon game tier list?
;)

I’ll have to get back to the tier list idea when I can sit down and do that.
ClaratheBlaziken wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:55 pm I don't know if I've ever asked or not, but has the Poliwager server ever been attacked? I.E a DDOS attack? A bot raid? Etc?
Not that I’ve seen. There were a few instances where bots have overloaded it enough that it got slow for an hour or two but I was able to figure out why and block them.

Quick Reply

Want to leave your thoughts here? Register today! It's fast, free, and you can begin posting right away.